Sad that summer is almost officially over? Don’t fret my pet! Just because the summer is dwindling down, doesn’t mean your skin and that summer glow has to as well. Here are a few of my tips to keeping that sexy skin of yours looking fresh, dewy and vibrant well into fall and beyond:
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate:You have heard this before and you will hear it again. Getting enough clean water into our bodies is one of the best things you can do for your mind, body and our largest organ, the skin. Water will help keep our insides and outsides hydrated, while assisting with flushing away impurities that may be looming around. But wait, there is more!
A key part of hydration is making sure that you are getting clean water into your body AND ontoyour body to help your billions of cells regenerate, eliminate and lubricate! Let’s remember that our skin is our largest organ, so the water we use on your body is just as important as the water we are drinking. While most don’t have a whole home water filtration system, there are other ways you can still filter you home water, so that you are taking some of the gunk out that municipal water contains.
One of the filtrations products I love is the Santevia Mineralized Alkaline Water filters. I was first introduced to this system in 2010 and have been hooked ever since. When I first was introduced, there was only the countertop 5-stage water filter (which I bought immediately!) but now they have a whole host of filtration products, including a shower filter.
Having a filter on your shower head, helps reduce the amount of toxins your skin is soaking up and with systems like the Santevia, you now flood your shower water with skin and hair loving minerals that won’t strip your skin, but help keep it moisturized as well. If you live in areas that experience harsher winters like we do, shower filters like this are absolute skin savers – bye, bye hard water and instant dry skin post shower.
There are many different filters available on the market at a range of different price points, so do your research and make the investment; I promise your body will thank you 😉
- Eat those fruits and veggies:I do love this time of year, as we move into peak harvest times with so many veggies/fruits ready and waiting to be plucked from the garden and/or the local farmers market. Take advantage of this by loading up on lots of these bright, fresh, in-season and organic fruits & veggies. Hues of red, yellow, orange, green, blue and everything in between, the variety of fresh veggies and fruits this time of year gives our body a bunch of phytonutrients, water, essential vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and of course fiber. These key nutrients help our body with eliminating waste, which helps keep our skin decongested, clear and shining bright.
- Dry Brush:Dry brushing is one of my absolute favourite ways to keep my skin surface smooth, silky and radiant. It is a simple practice that you can do year-round, to give your skin some extra love and lots of glow. Follow my steps for dry brushing here.
- Get a massage:In addition to being incredibly relaxing, therapeutic and stress busting, massage positively affects our nervous system via our nerve endings in the skin, which stimulates the release of our feel-good endorphins. Massage also helps with supplying our body with vital Oxygen and assists our badass lymphatic system with flushing away waste product. The results – lots of feelings of wellbeing and when we feel good, we look good J
- Hydrosol:I was re-introduced to the power of hydrosols (Thanks to my amazing holistic aesthetician Kamila) last year and what. A. Game. Changer!!!! Adding hydrosol back to my beauty ritual has shown some pretty noticeable changes in my skin appearance and how it feels overall. I have been using and absolutely LOVING Evan Healy’s line of hydrosols on my face, and incorporating the same hydrosol routine into my overall skincare routine by using Rosewateron the rest of my body as well. As Evan writes:
“Pure plant hydrosols are some of nature's best antioxidants. They play an important role in protecting the skin from free radicals and pollution. Saturating the skin daily with these precious waters restores pH balance, refreshes and tones skin tissue, maintaining soft and smooth skin while significantly increasing vitality and hydration to all skin conditions.”Evan Healy http://www.evanhealy.com/shop-by-category/hydrosouls/lavender-facial-tonic-hydrosoul.html
- Keep moving:Physical activity keeps our blood flowing and sweat going, which is a win-win for our skin. Adequate blood circulation helps keep our skin’s natural glow by bringing blood to the surface and flushing out stagnant toxins that may be hanging around. Movement also increases our bodies ability to expel toxins form our cells via sweat, urine and poop, which allows our skin to become the canvas for renewed radiance.
- Scrub a dub, dub: Sugar and salt scrubs are a fantastic way to exfoliate away dead skin on the surface, while restoring the skin with nourishing hydration from the naturals oils found in most scrubs. While there are many scrubs on the market, I only use those that use pure and/or organic ingredients which my skin will absorb. Scrubs are also quite easy to DIY if you want to save a few dollars, so if you haven’t made one before, check out my “recipe” for one of my fav DIY scrub blends here.
- Moisturize:This may seem like a no-brainier but for some it may not be. Further, as we move into the cooler fall season, you may want to revisit what moisturizer you are using on your face and your body. Choosing something that is a bit richer and maybe even adding an oil serum to the mix, will help keep your skin glowing and dewy throughout these cooler times. A consistent moisture routine for your face and skin can make all the difference between dry, dehydrate, dull skin vs. bright, vibrant, radiant and youthful looking skin 😉
Here’s to your glow my friends,