Green drinks. Green smoothies. Green, green and more green! As you may have noticed, green drinks are very “in” right now and for good reason. Incorporating green drinks and/or smoothies into your diet has many positive benefits that include:
- They are friendly to your digestive track
- Help increase your fibre intake (since you are blending whole fruits and vegetables), which also keeps you full longer
- Floods your body with powerful vitamins, macronutrients and phytonutrients
- Helps us meet our daily requirement of fruits of veggies, especially veggies
- Natural energy drink, giving you lasting oomph throughout the day
- Aids your body’s natural ability to remove junk and toxins
- A great and easy way to kick-start your adventures in the wonderful world of healthy eating ☺
Now, as I mentioned in my Real Deal Revo post, you have to be mindful and steer clear of green juice/smoothie imposters, who load these beverages with high sugar fruits or sweeteners to appeal to the sugar loving masses – that’s a no go and can cause WAY more harm than good. I will never say that sugar is necessarily bad, it’s too much of it is that gets us into the danger zone.
I for one like to enjoy green drinks, smoothies and superfood elixirs from raw, organic producers like Revo but I also like to create my own green smoothies chez moi. Green smoothies are a mega staple in our home, as it helps us get adequate amounts of superfoods into our bodies and are perfect for “on the run” nutrition ; -) The beauty about green smoothies is that there are literally hundreds of combinations you can make, so it is always a new adventure creating and concocting new blends.
Here is a recipe for one of our go-to morning smoothies we sip on, that adds an extra pep in our step:
Handful spinach, washed
1 leaf of lacinato kale, washed and chopped
1/2 lemon, peeled
1/4 frozen banana
2 tsp. spirulina powder
1 tsp. pine pollen
1/2 serving of IsaLean Berry Harvest (this is a plant based protein powder. We also use Isa Pro undenatured whey protein)
A few ice cubes
Filtered H2O (add water for desired consistency)
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
Now, when you are making your own smoothie, here are a few things to remember:
- Stick to organic and non GMO produce as much as possible
- If this will become a regular habit, invest in a high-powered blender, as it helps reduce big ice chips and blast out those nutrients from your fruits and veggies – it’s like chewing your food x1000!
- Be mindful of sugars: Whether you are adding natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup and/or high sugar fruits like banana, pineapple or mango, be sure to measure it all out and balance accordingly i.e. if adding1/2 banana you can probably skip adding additional natural sweeteners.
- Add a good fat: we LOVE adding avocado as it gives the smoothie a creamy texture and of course we love its nutritional benefits too. Other good fats you can add are soaked cashews, virgin coconut oil and/or hemp oil.
If green drinks are not your thing, give them a chance and play around with different combination, as you may just surprise yourself and find the perfect recipe that works for you. Adding a green drink/smoothie to your routine has a wealth of benefits that your body will adore and you will definitely feel the difference, I promise.
Who says you can only bundle up when drinking hot cocoa?!?!
The beautiful human is my lovely sister in case you are wondering… and she is single! LOL 😉